Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Life's A Beach

You know, I've been to the beach more in the past week (3 times) than I have in the past 3 years...

Having grown up 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, you might be surprised to discover that I actually was never much of a beach person. I blame this on my mother. Or, more accurately, my mother's hair. Her hair turns into insta-afro when exposed to any level of humidity. Plus there were five of us. No one with any desire to maintain their sanity brings five children to the beach without any assistance. So, growing up, I rarely went to the beach. Once I got older I spent my summers working (starting illegally at the age of 13, but that's another post).

I mentioned this to my father and he said "oh no - I took you guys at least one time each summer. But you were always the one complaining - my feet hurt, there are too many rocks, what if something bites me in the water..." Funny, this is pretty much what Thing 2 said to me last week when we went to the beach. He really does take after his mother...except 30 yrs ago they didn't have watershoes. Once I put those on him he was good to go.

So, what is causing my recent beach activity? Easy. The answer all stay at home parents give: IT OCCUPIES THE CHILDREN!!!!

We've been going to a portion of the beach where the ocean flows behind the sand dunes, creating tidal pools when the tide is low enough. Which means the water is anywhere from 3-8 inches deep and full of marine life. The boys are having a blast gathering hermit crabs, crawfish, eels, snails, and the occasional blue crab. I've got to admit even I'm having a blast. It's a great way to spend a couple of hours and the boys are having too much fun to fight with each other. Add in all the other kids their age who are at the beach and it is, honestly, the perfect day. I can foresee myself doing this with the boys all summer long.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy. I love the beach....Our beach has a LOT of pebbles and rocks in it...but when you have low tide the big rocks hide so much wonder....


Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Lucky!!! My boys would LOVE that. My #1 talked about going to look for tide pools for months before we went up to Maine. We went twice when we were there and it seemed like it was the most fun they have ever had. I am jealous! Enjoy your summer at the beach.

Marine Wife said...

OMG, I refer to the kids as Things 1 and 2 all the time. hee hee

Anonymous said...

Yeah you got Beach Boys, plus Thing 2 can just sit down and pee in the water.