Friday, June 29, 2007

What's Your Theme Song

My sister asked Garth Brooks this question a few years ago, and since then I've always thought it was a pretty interesting question. In my opinion, everyone has two different theme songs at any point in time. The first is the music you would want to hear played as you entered a room. For Sista ND (who posed the question) her song would be "Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder. I think I'd like to have "Running with the Devil" by Van Halen play as I enter a room.

My other theme song has been much harder for me to identify. This is the song that has lyrics which capture who you are, or where you're at. Obviously this song is different depending on where you are in the journey of life. Recently a friend of mine observed that had it been out when we were in college, "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" by Big and Rich would have been a good theme song for us.

So what is my theme song these days? I'm still not sure. These lyrics capture the past week or so:

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications

Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know will be alright
It's just overkill

From "Overkill" by Men at Work

Then again, last night I heard these lyrics while driving last night and identified with them:

I see my folks, they're getting old, I watch their bodies change...
I know they see the same in me, And it makes us both feel strange...
No matter how you tell yourself, It's what we all go through...
Those eyes are pretty hard to take when they're staring' back at you.
Scared you'll run out of time.

Chorus
------
When did the choices get so hard?
With so much more at stake.
Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste.
Hummmm...Scared she'll run out of time.

From "Nick of Time" by Bonnie Raitt

However I don't consider either of these to be my theme song. I'm still searching for one...

So I leave you with the obvious question - what are your theme songs?

10 comments:

Nick said...

I don't know who originally sings it, but Mason Jennings covers it. Sun Gonna Shine on my (Back) Door:

I am blue child
but I won't be blue always
I said the sun will shine
on my back door one day

Queen of the Mayhem said...

Okay.....I am going to have to think about this....my first instinct tells me I want "Fergalicious" to play when I walk into a room....but then I remember I am almost 34...and not nearly as delicious as I once was!
(hee-hee)

"D..to the E....to the L I C I O U S"

Anonymous said...

ooooh, great questions! Definitely "Mama Said Knock You Out" for the walk-into-the-room song. (I actually play this on the first day of classes every term, before I go to my first class. It calms my nerves, strangely enough.) My theme song, though, is (don't laugh) "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba:

I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never gonna keep me down

Basically because I think I'm pretty stubborn about what I want and where I want to be, and that attitude has carried me through so far and helped me persevere. Plus it's just a fun song!

Anonymous said...

Hmm. . .I don't know. I think I would have a variety of theme songs depending on my mood, the day, etc.

steph! said...

Nick - I like it!

Queen - Having reached 34 a few weeks back, I can say with some authority that it's all good - so let the Fergie play :)

Dr. Friendly - you have survived motherhood!!! Okay, using LL Cool J is hilarious...but I can actually see you entering the classroom with that playing (plus don't you have tenure now - you could actually have this playing next semester when you come in and they can't fire you...). I like the lyrics you chose for your personal song...but don't the rest of the lyrics have something to do with vodka drinking :)

Dawn - you get some slack on this topic due to the sore ass...for now!

Anonymous said...

haha thanks!

Lambette said...

Great questions - love it!

Walking in song would probably be Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison or You Look Wonderful by Clapton - both are very sentimental to me and my husband. The second was our first dance at our wedding - if it had to be something inspirational but funky, it would be Lose Yourself by Eminem - I love that song.


My true theme song was picked out by you years ago . . . don't you remember? I still think of you in the car saying that every time I hear it - Far Behind by Candlebox:

Some would say your life was sad
But you lived it anyway
And now maybe
Your friends they stand beside they watch you crumble
As you falter to the ground
And now maybe
Your friends they stand beside as you were flying
Oh you were flying oh so high. . .
Now maybe I could have made my own mistakes
But I live with what I've known
Yes maybe we might share in something great
But won't you look at where we've grown
Won't you look at where we've gone

Always brings back good memories :-)

steph! said...

Lambinator - That is a great memory for me too (one of the many we've had)!!!

Anonymous said...

heh...I *wish* I had tenure! I think I go up for it in 2009 or something like that. And yes, the theme song is a drinking song, but doesn't that seem fitting? :)

Gunfighter said...

At work, my theme is Darth Vader's theme, also known to Star Wars geeks (I'm not one of them) as the Imperial March.

The theme for the rest of my life is the Main Title theme to Superman.

(I know... I'm such a square)