Thursday, May 03, 2007

I'm Still Awake Because

I'm due to be at the hospital in less than 8 hours for sinus surgery. And I'm not feeling entirely comfy with the whole thing. Specifically the whole "we're going to put you to sleep now" portion of the event. Anywho a good friend of mine said she always stays awake the night before surgery, so that she'll sleep more after the surgery. Not sure if this is the medically advised method, but I figure I'd rather be awake and getting stuff done rather than lying awake in bed dreading the morning.

So, in case I don't wake up from this procedure, a last Thing One story (and special request).

Today I'm driving with the boys and decide to tell them that they can be anything they want to be. I do try on a daily basis to tell them how special they are, how much they are loved, etc. etc. I figure the earlier and most often they hear these words the more they will believe them. Anywho I'm doing the standard speech all parents give at some point in time, which goes like this:

S: You can be anything you want to be when you're a grown up. You could be an astronaut, or a teacher -
Thing 1: I already have a teacher!
S: No, no, when you're older - you could be a teacher like Miss D, and you could teach children like she teaches you.
Thing 1: Oh. Okay. So what else could I be?
S: Well, you could be a builder, or a fireman, or a nurse, or a truck driver (see, I'm not trying to pressure them into fame and fortune - just trying to open their eyes to the possibilities of life).
Thing 1: What else?
Thing 2: Yeah, what else could I be?
Mommy is starting to run low on career path ideas...
S: Umm, you could be the gas station man, or a policeman, or a doctor, or a lawyer
Thing 1: What's a lawyer?
S: It's like a judge. Sorta. Anyways, you could be a scientist, or a painter. Now what do you think you'd like to be.
Thing 1: A clown.
S: A clown???
Thing 1: Yeah, a clown. I want to be a clown.

Okay - so here's the deal. I'm trying not to be overly concerned by my 4 year old's career aspirations. But since I'm facing possible death in the morning (yeah, I'm being melodramatic, I'm allowed!), I would hereby like to request should I not wake up from surgery please, would one of my sister's please find a way to ensure that he's not a clown. I'm not asking for President, or the next Oprah Winfrey, I'm just asking you to nix the Clown Career. Otherwise I will haunt you. By throwing huge clown shoes at you from the sky. Try me - I will do it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the surgery went well!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I hope you recover easily and soon!


OH.....and your child does not end up as a clown! hee-hee

Gunfighter said...

A clown? Who likes clowns?... I mean, really!