Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Making It Up As I Go

“Mom – Are an octopus and a squid friends?”

So this was the first question asked of me today after picking the boys up from school. It’s a great example of the types of questions I get asked on an hourly basis. My answer to this one ended up including an explanation of what an oceanographer is, and what squids eat. You might think that perhaps I’m giving them too much information, but since most of their marine life knowledge comes from watching Spongebob Squarepants, I felt it best to be thorough. In case you’re wondering, thanks to my son’s Spongebob obsession I’ve also had to explain that while sponges do exist, they actually don’t wear pants nor do they live in pineapples. Jake and I also have a recurring argument about whether or not Squidward is actually an octopus (he claims his head isn’t the right shape to be a squid). In any case, it’s become apparent that I probably should have taken Physics or Astronomy instead of Understanding Virus’ to meet the University’s science requirement (although, at the time, the high percentage of football players in Understanding Virus’ certainly seemed to signal that I had made an excellent choice). I’ve recently been asked about electricity, volcanos, whales, space exploration, gravity, martians, and why we need air to breathe and fish don’t (which resulted in quite the biology lecture from Steph on lungs and oxygen, btw). While I try to base my explanations on known scientific facts, there are definitely moments where I haven’t a damn clue what the answers are. Also the limited vocabulary of a four and three year old complicate things (what's a lung? what does oxygen taste like? see my point...) Unfortunately the boys don’t ask me about tax deductions, investment strategies, or whether or not Emmitt Smith is a better dancer than Mario Lopez. These are questions I can handle. Questions on baleen and plankton – not so much.

2 comments:

Lambette said...

Ahh, the questions of a preschooler - nothing quite makes you feel like a dumbass . . .

Why did God make sharks mean?

Why do we give gifts to poor people - why doesn't Santa visit them too?

How old will I be when I die?

What do you mean I won't live with you when I grow up?

Where will my kids sit in our van when I am a mommy too? What do you mean we won't all be in the same car?

How long would it take to drive to Australia? Okay, if there wasn't an ocean how long would it take to drive it?

Why does Spongebob live in pineapple? Why does Gary meow? Why are you drinking at 9 in the morning?

steph! said...

I get "why is a shark mad all the time?" and "how many days does it take to get to..." (name any state or country that they've ever seen on TV)?.

Death is a big topic lately too - my kids think my grandmother lives in a house under the cemetary now...

Nothing about not living with me when they get older. I've been told that they don't like girls and are never getting married and will always be with me (which of course I tell them is perfectly fine - prolly won't feel that way when they're thirty and still at home...)