Monday, October 23, 2006

What made me decide to write the ND post...

We were flying out to South Bend on Friday morning. The weather was crap. Which meant the turbulence was crap. We’re bouncing along (which I hate) and so to help ease the tension (and the excessive squeezing I was doing to Tony’s hand) I started listening to my iPod. It was on random play. Suddenly, we rose above the clouds and the turbulence stopped – all I could see was the sun glistening off the wing, the soft white of the clouds below us and clear blue sky stretching out for miles and miles. It was absolutely breathtaking. And this is what came over my headphones:

Who doesn't know what I'm talking about
Who's never left home, who's never struck out
To find a dream and a life of their own
A place in the clouds, a foundation of stone
Many precede and many will follow
A young girl's dream no longer hollow
It takes the shape of a place out west
But what it holds for her, she hasn't yet guessed

It’s never been one of my favorite songs. But nothing else would have fit the moment quite so well. That’s when I figured I’d better write about what ND truly means to me. Not the typical stuff I usually write for my own self-amusement. But my honest feelings about this place.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what song is that????

steph! said...

wide open spaces by the dixie chicks...