Monday, October 23, 2006

What Notre Dame means to me



Before college I was shy, quiet and perpetually (had to get that word in!) concerned with what people thought of me. I was painfully shy in high school (since I'm such a loud mouth now no one ever seems to believe me when I say this). I had my circle of four or five good friends that I was comfortable with, but that was it. I was always very aware of the fact that I wasn't secure enough to express myself. And it sucked.

But from the moment I stepped on campus I felt, for the first time, completely safe to be me. Sounds corny, but it is the truth. I felt empowered, comfortable, and at home almost immediately. Notre Dame is where I grew up. It’s where I discovered my own self-worth and self-confidence. I’ve definitely evolved since graduating from college, but most of that has been superficial. In essence, Notre Dame is where I stopped being afraid to be me - and I haven’t been scared since.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaawwww. The Sentimental Journey of ND as a transformation into self awareness. I love it. Keep the real thoughts coming...