Sunday, October 29, 2006

Seven Phone Numbers and a Funeral

So “the Maneater”, my youngest sister, calls me today with an update on her life as a single girl. She tells me that in the past week she’s had seven guys ask for her phone number. Wow – I say – where? Well, she tells me, two of the requests were at a funeral…

In my family weird shit happens at wakes/funerals. It’s gotten to the point where we actually have a contest now called “Quote of the Wake”. Had the rest of us been there I’m sure being asked out at a funeral would have won the quote of that wake (or funeral, as it were). I’ll share a couple of other winners from this past year…

My 2nd cousin’s wake. Sister (and that part is key to understanding just how wrong this is) of deceased asks my brother-in-law if he’s still playing professional football. When he tells her yes. Her reply: “Really? Oh, can I get your autograph?”

Runner up for the same wake – my grandmother (the deceased’s aunt) is overcome by grief and literally is in the casket hugging the dead (grandma wasn’t real tall, so it took some effort). Quote of the wake: my mom as she’s leaving “and one of you kids keep your grandmother from climbing in that damn casket again”.

Grandma’s wake – one of our possibly homeless cousins tells my sister “You guys should be honored - I actually showered today for this.”

Runner up for Grandma’s wake – the same cousin asks me if I’m having any more children. No, I say – how about you? “Oh no, I’ve been spayed.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're "PROLLY" going to hell for all this you know...
SISTA ND aka Maneater

steph! said...

I knew a Prolly was going to make an appearance at some point...

Someday I'll do a post explaining which of your exes I think you should marry, and which ones you were prolly right to dump...

Anonymous said...

Maneater is hungry for some love huh? She needs to stop collecting numbers at these events...And I hope no one from home ever gets hold of this or someone IS goin somewhere and it AIN'T gonna be me! Mom might "J-slap" or SlapJack you!!!

Anonymous said...

Adam HPD is officially FIRED! No call since Friday when he said, "I'll call you back in a bit". And we all know the Maneater doesn't chase ANYONE! Disappointing results for teh funeral...I guess that's Karma for ya!
SISTA ND