Monday, June 04, 2007

What's This Blog All About

Yeah, I don't know either.

I started blogging late last year as a way to share pics/stories with my friends and family that don't live nearby. Or at least that's what I said. The fact is that I really started it as something to do. My grandmother was near death (in fact she died within a week of my first post) and I needed a distraction. Losing her daily presence in my life has been the hardest thing I've ever faced. I knew it would be hard, I knew it was coming, and so I tried to find ways to occupy myself. So that's really the reason I started blogging.

After tax season I found myself with some free time, so I started checking out other blogs. I've found a lot of cool stuff out there. This seems to be the internet medium for the 30-somethings (probably because we're too old for the Myspace). There's are mommy bloggers, political bloggers, and issue bloggers. There are people who are writing to make you laugh and people who are writing to make you think. So this leads to the question I've been asking - what kind of blogger am I?

A schizophrenic one, I think.

It's confusing to try to categorize yourself. I think that while I'm fairly open about who I am in real life, the fact is that even amongst my friends I have different facets that I share. Generally I like to laugh. A lot. So I don't know any of my friends that I don't share that aspect of myself with. But I'm also serious. As someone who had given up religion a few years back, lately I find myself truly trying to figure out what I believe. So I'm trying to self-educate - not just about religions, but about politics and history. After a painful foot injury, I'm trying to become more physically active again. I'm confident, but lately I've been hesitant in social situations. I'm a lot of things wrapped up in one body - but then again, aren't we all?

I'm rambling here. When I sat down to write tonight I had about four totally different ideas about what I could post about - and as a result this is what emerged.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can not catagerize myself as a blogger (or person) either. I don't try to. When I first started blogging I had a bit of a theme (I was living overseas) but now. . .none whatsoever. Just whatever crap happens to enter my head on any given day. :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, for one you are a blogger who knows Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam songs, that's for sure!!!

hee hee...

I am glad you started blogging whatever category you may fall into...I think we shouldn't categorize ourselves at all...Just write!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I'm with Dawn.....what I write depends on what is going on in my life, what has rattled my cage, or how I am feeling......since I am a highly complicated woman, my blog reflects that well!

Whatever type you think you are....I am glad you started to blog!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

PS: I SWEAR I did not read Janet's comment before I wrote mine!


Great minds think alike!

Cristina said...

Wow, I could have written this about myself! I love to laugh and write things that are funny, but I have a serious side too. I think it's like you said, people are multi-dimensional. The great thing about blogging is that you can be serious, funny, sentimental, controversial, or all of the above! We're not boxed in because it's OUR blog :)

steph! said...

Thanks for the comments ladies! You're all right - it is MY blog so I can do what I want with it. It's just weird because as new people are reading it they're getting a different idea of "who I am" depending on what I might have recently posted on.

And yes Janet, I am pretty much the queen of "name that 80's song". Such a talent I have, yet it seems to have no place on my resume...