Sunday, June 10, 2007

Random Musical Thoughts

What is a Hollaback Girl?

What does HOVA mean (H to the izzo, V to the izzay - yeah, I'm probably totally screwing this line up - but if you don't recognize the line, you definitely won't be able to help me with this one)?

Just wondering.

Lyric comprehension hasn't ever really been my strong suit. In fact, I spent most of my childhood thinking Jimmy Buffett stepped on a poptart in Margaritaville, and that Kenny Rogers had "four hundred children and a crop and a field" to take care of after Lucille left his ass. In fact, I only realized it was hungry instead of hundred a few years ago.

You know, I'm not really sure why my parents even owned a Kenny Rogers album. My mother was only in her thirties when I was a teen, and given her whole strong semi-black woman thing the majority of her albums were of the Michael Jackson variety. My friends thought it was so cool that my Mom owned the Thriller album. And the soundtrack to "Breakin'". I don't think she ever actually listened to these things, I think it was her way of counteracting the ownership of the aforementioned Kenny Rogers album.

I'm feeling the urge to confess to the world that I do own greatest hits CD's from both Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow. Oh crap - and Air Supply too. Suddenly I feel like I'm in the church confessional. Forgive me father, for I have purchased soft rock. And country, and rap, one CD from that blind opera dude, and a number of those "Now That's What I Call Music" CD's.

What can I say - I'm a musical schizo. As further proof I give you my last five itunes purchases (and this is straight off the purchased playlist):

Hole Hearted - Extreme
Overkill - Men at Work
You Can Do It - Ice Cube
Ridin' - Chamillionaire and Krayzie Bone
If Everyone Cared - Nickelback

6 comments:

Queen of the Mayhem said...

I have similar leanings when it comes to music. There is just so many good genres out there....I can't pick just one!

BTW Neil Diamond.....LOVE HIM! When I was a child, we would always listen to "The Jazz Singer" on trips. I think that makes my mom slightly more of a loser than your Kenny listening mom! (hee-hee)

Anonymous said...

Heavy Metal...all the way...here....

Aw, I lie. I love it all really but metal is my first love.

And the caterpillar container. Easy to open. You gotta be careful. It won't fall open, but if someone pulls on it..adios caterpillars...

Do it. It's fun.

Just tell the kids that the container shouldn't be touched/picked up because it will scare the caterpillars and they won't turn to butterflies...That's what I told SF and she just turns it around to look at it.

steph! said...

Queen - Ah Neil...there's no one like him, is there. I think there are a lot of closet fans out there that only come out when "Sweet Caroline" is publically played. In college we loved him - around 2 am on a Saturday night, but still, we loved him.

Janet - While Neil was a critical part of my college music, so was Metallica. One of my roommates played "Enter Sandman" every Friday afternoon once classes were done - it was basically the dorm's cue to start drinking!

Anonymous said...

Hollaback girl is either 1. A gal that uses words/cheers (possibly in reference to a fight or disagreement). Like if someone starts a fight with words and all you do is "hollaback"- you are just fighting with words, aka Rosie & Elisabeth

Or 2. A booty call

HOVA, stems from Jehovah another word for God, is the nickname JayZ gave himself referring to himself as being the "God" of the Rap world.

Any other music lyrics you want my vast knowledge on???lol

steph! said...

I should have known I could count on you BKD-H! That's actually kinda interesting that Jay-Z considers himself to be a god. It does help explain how he convinced Beyonce to date him though, doesn't it...

Gunfighter said...

I rather enjoyed Jay Z's H.O.V.A.... but I never had the slightest clue as to what he was talking aobut! It was a true guilty pleasure, as I despise Jay Z.

It probably won't surprise you to hear that I have been a Neil Diamond fan since I was a kid.

Oh, and I am a big Black Sabbath fan, too... that is, from the days when Ozzy was still with the band.