Friday, January 05, 2007

Would this be me?



As we approach V-Day, known to those over 80 as victory day, and to those in our household as vasectomy day, I'm starting to have second thoughts. Actually, second thoughts is too strong for what I'm having. I am questioning whether or not it's okay that my reasons for not wanting any more children are purely selfish. There's no medical reason why we shouldn't have more. While it might be more financially stressful, we certainly wouldn't lose our house if we had another child. Since nurse hottie turns 37 this month I am concerned about how old we'd be when our third child quits college on us, but let's face it - there are plenty of people in their 40's having children. The fact is that at the base of it all, the reason I don't want more children is because we're past the baby stage. Since my boys are only 14 months apart, I feel like I lived the extended remix version of the baby stage.

I've given up bottles, breastpumps, diapers, pacifiers, diaper bags, and strollers, and I don't want them back. I don't want all my clothes to smell like baby vomit or have formula stains on them. I don't want gates at the stairs, foolproof latches that confounded me, or to use that suction thing on any other babies noses.

I want Disneyworld, and bike rides, and people that can tell me when something hurts. I want the crazy never-ending questions - "can a monster eat a dinosaur?" "why does a volcano have a hole in it?" "what does a sponge eat?" - these are all from today, in case you were wondering. I want to hear my son recite the pledge of allegiance, even if he does think that we live in the "united states comerica" and that our country is "invisible with liberty and justice for all". That's the stage we're at now. But if I don't have any more babies, then once these two pass this stage it's gone forever as well.

As for the picture at the top of this post...this one struck a little too close to home. I already have two boys who think it is hilarious when they pee in the toilet at the same time. Do I really want to know if it's possible to fit a third stream?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're CRAZY sista! Roll the dice and make a decision! What does nurse hottie want to do? I say go for a girl! It would even things out in my niece/nephew ratio cause let's be real...BKDH ain't gonna give up her jet set lifestyle any time soon! And me...well there will be no cart before the horse...and I can't find any horses worth riding around here so its up to YOU!
SISTA ND

steph! said...

pressure is on BKDH. Nurse Hottie said "can't we just get your siblings to have some babies and enjoy those..."

seriously (although that is what he said) I have no doubt that we are done. I just had to accept the fact that it is a selfish decision. Doesn't mean it's the wrong one for us though.

Anonymous said...

It is NOT a selfish decision! Seriously, your boys are heavy duty handfuls...I know because I lived with them for a week. And there is nothing wrong wih just focusing on what you already have and enjoying that!
SISTA ND

Anonymous said...

I'm back bitches!!!!! I now have internet service again so I'm catching up on all of your posts from the New Year!

I think you should adopt a child from Malaysia or Russia or China- and then you can get them at age 2 and do potty training with them!

Talk about pressure I had my doctor ask me- "Are you two going to start a family this year?" what I wanted to say was..."No dipshit- that's why I'm still on BC!" I kept it clean though;)