Sunday, December 03, 2006

Two Little Men and a Baby

I was talking to a friend this weekend who asked me "did your kid really sing baby got back?" Do you embellish or make any of this stuff up?

The incredibly truthful answer is that no, I don't embellish any stories that involve the boys. I don't have to - this is the insanity that is my life. If you don't believe me ask anyone that's spent more than a few minutes with my children. Or ask Jake to sing Baby Got Back to you. With my kids I laugh every single day. I also scream, get mad, and wonder why I ever quit my job for this. Parenting brings out your true colors. And I'm not perfect. I don't think I'm a bad mother, and I would die for either of my children without hesitation. But they definitely try my patience. However they also amaze and astound me on a regular basis.

Today's story involves a game they play called Steph and Tony. You know they are playing this game because they wear our shoes. Jake uses this deep voice (he is always Tony) and says stuff to Clint like "hello, sweetie" and "oh baby, i love you". For some reason he only plays the part of loving Tony. He's never said "oh baby, but I haven't washed my truck in two days". So here was today's episode - it kinda caught me by surprise:

Jake: Sweetie, get in the car. We're going to the hospital to have the baby.
Clint: (for some reason also in a deep voice - even though he is me) Okay.
Jake: The doctor needs to get the baby out.
Clint turns to me. Lifts his shirt.
Clint: Doctor, get this baby out.

I, now playing the part of the doctor, hand him the invisible baby.
Steph: Is is a boy or a girl?
Jake: It's a boy.
Steph: What's his name?
Jake: I don't know...we'll know when he's 2.

And no, before you ask - I am not, nor am I trying to become, pregnant.

No comments: