Sunday, November 12, 2006

It's So Hard to Be Me...


Actually, it's really not. Made you look though.

I might be deleting this tomorrow as I'm having my third date of the night with Mr. Miller Lite. A young man (now currently bald despite the fact he's only 34) once called me the "two-can commando" back in 1990...under his tutelage I became more of a five shot everclear gal by the time we graduated, but motherhood has sent me back to two-can (or bottle, as I have substantially more fund available for beer now) commando status. Translation - I am technically drunk.

Drunk, but not drunk enough that I can't type. Or cut some checks and print reports. Which is what I'm doing now. See, when you are a (technically) self-employed mother who hangs with her kiddies but also gets paid to do stuff, you fit it in where you can. While they're watching the movie Cars for the 85th time, or at 11 pm on a Sunday night. After a day of football. Have I mentioned my love of football? I love it. This year I've taken on commissioner duties for a pool I'm in (and if you're married to a Fed and reading this tell him it's totally for charity - would I be involved in illegal interstate gambling? Is my nickname not law-abiding Stephie?) which adds another task to my already fairly full life. Tony joined the pool this year for the first time, which is cool as it leads people to believe my husband is a reformed redneck. Don't kid yourselves, today we were flipping between Nascar and the Saints/Steelers game. I remember a few years ago when we had to have two tv's set up in our living room every Sunday - one for Steph (football) and one for Tony (Nascar). Fortunately I managed to convince him that there was no need to LISTEN to a race...but as usual, I digress. I love football. Angry that my beloved Saints lost, but happy for the Packers today. Oh, and I love football in High Def most of all. If you don't have it - GET IT. 'Nuff said.

Okay, back to why it's so hard to be me. Again, it's not. My husband kicks ass (remember, I'm drunk and therefore not uptight about his inability to fold laundry) and comes home telling me cool stories about how many bullet holes were in some dudes leg yesterday morning, my children kick ass (again, drunk enough to forget the fact they spent a lot of today beating each other up), and overall my life kicks ass (don't even need the booze for that). I got to see the Maneater this weekend and catch up, and I'll get to see her again soon since she's a teacher and therefore has every holiday known to man off. Also got to do a great family field trip to the Mystic Aquarium in CT on Thursday since the Massachusetts school system turned Veterans Day into a four day weekend...wait - another tangent. Dammit, I've got to keep focused.

Oh yeah, my problem. I need some new music. I borrowed my brother's CD collection recently and got some good stuff (was also a bit frightened by his rather extensive Korn collection) including Zeppelin and Metallica. I also got a good laugh at the old "giveittowayna" song I saw but didn't copy. I feel myself slipping back into tangent land, so I'll just say it - if you love me, send me some a CD with some music. I really do need some new tunes. And you all know you love me. Okay, gotta go finish printing before I pass out...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is...does your 3 year old son still sit in a high chair?

steph! said...

I just needed a picture that worked with the caption - that was almost a year ago, so no, not anymore. Now I just tie them down or throw them in the closet. You know how that works!