Saturday, July 07, 2007

Weekly Rantings and Ravings

I think this should be a weekly segment. God knows I'm always bitching about something... :)

1. Thing 2 will be FOUR in August. Yet he continues to pee himself on a semi-regular basis. Since he has gone as long as week at a time not wetting himself, I know this is pure LAZINESS. I've bribed, I've rewarded, I've taken away, I've time-outed and quite frankly, I'm tired of it. But as a parent I'm not allowed to say WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING??? I'M FREAKIN' TIRED OF WASHING 42 PAIRS OF UNDERWEAR EACH WEEK! Which is what I am thinking. Every time he pees his pants.

2. Aside from the fact that she threatens to disinherit me on a semi-weekly basis, my mother is a fairly intelligent woman. So will someone tell me why she refuses to trust direct deposit??? My mother spends a lot of time in Atlantic City these days perfecting her second career as a professional gambler. So when she's out of town she then expects me to deposit her paychecks for her. And when I forget...well, let's just say that I'm probably going to be disinherited again this week.

3. I have diagnosed Thing 1 with CFD. What's that, you ask? It stands for "Can't Follow Directions". We're not talking difficult directions either. Example - an hour ago I say to him, in preparation for bedtime, what I say to him every night. "Take off your shorts and put them in the hamper". And, like he does every night, he takes off his shorts and underwear and then looks puzzled when I indicate that he doesn't need to sleep commando style. So then he picks up the underwear, twirls them around, does a few random circles, until I finally yell "PUT THOSE ON". Which leads me to Rant item 4.

4. Why, Why, WHY do my children only take me seriously when I yell at them? I repeat myself constantly, all day long, and it pisses me off that I need to yell to get their attention. I love them, but honestly, WHY?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are living in MY home too...Ugh. Kids and that potty.

Anonymous said...

You are not alone...

Anonymous said...

haha. . .yes. . not alone at all. I feel like my entire day is spent repeating over and over again the same 4 or 5 sentences.

Frank said...

I had the same problem with my girls when they were in the 3-5 year old range. Then it dawned on me that they only listened when I would yell because that was the only time there were consequences. I then changed tactics. I tell them one time what I want them to do. If they don't do it, I don't yell, but I do dispense punishment. After two or three times of not listening followed by time-out or the occasional spanking, they started listening and obeying a lot more often. They're still kids, so they still push their limits, but now they know that dad means business, and I don't feel like I spend every waking minute yelling at them.

On another note, my younger daughter wet herself nearly every day until she started pre-school. She just absolutely did not care. Until she realized that no one else was doing it, then it embarrassed her enough that she stopped on her own. But I totally sympathize with hating washing every pair of underwear they own every other day.

steph! said...

Well, I always feel better knowing that my kids aren't much different than anyone elses :)

Frank - interesting point. I generally use timeouts as discipline for physical behaviors (i.e. throwing power rangers at one another) and not for them not listening to me. I think I'll try that.

Anonymous said...

We made a list of rules in the house and one of them is that they have to "listen" as in do what we asked them to do. They get one freebie in case they really don't hear us. . .after that. . .they broke a rule.

Anonymous said...

catching up on like two weeks of blog reading...

I'm so with you on #3 and #4.

And thanks for sharing this, cause like you, I always feel better knowing that my kids aren't the only ones that behave this way.